Sunday, August 19, 2012

REACHING THE GOLD STATUS

Rare in this day and age that couples make it to 50 years in marriage. I am blessed to come from a home where my parents have reached 50 years in marriage.. August 4th, 1962...

The dress made by Grandmother Ruth
The Invites
My mother Janet, was so excited and nervous preparing for this party. She was like a new bride.. She never had a real wedding, not even a wedding pic or even a cake and no real honeymoon. Her parents didn't even go..Grand daddy was busy doing farm work and Grandmother staying home as well. She did sew mom a beautiful wedding dress for the occasion.  50 years later was moms chance to re-live what she missed out on the first time. Dad was the typical man from his era.. he just went with the flow and tried to stay out of the way as much as possible. In helping mom prepare for things I realized how rare it is to find things for 50th wedding anniversary party... In collaboration with our dear friend Marcia Jenkins many talents of decorating for parties, I helped make favors, announcements, and thank you notes.  My son Collin made the slide show with music from the era, and Karen my sister cooked up a bunch of delicious goodies for the after party. My brother in law Bob was the photographer... It all pulled together smoothly considering that I live in Texas, My Siblings live in Indiana and my parents live in Ky... Its not easy pulling a party together when we are all so far apart. Mom did quite a bit herself. She was concerned about space at her house with all the out of town guests and getting ready, trying to share the bathrooms. She and Marcia found an amazing Bed and Breakfast at Hillbilly Ridge in Wickliffe Ky.  This place is phenomenal and so hospitable. Definitely a place to go to.. here is a link to their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hillbilly-Ridge-Bed-n-Breakfast/479404845419978?sk=phot
THE KISS




 (These are the invitations I made for my parents 50th
wedding anniversary... The Pics are printed on vellum
and overlay  on top of the announcement, backed with 
golden yellow card stock and matted with Gold Foil
poster board paper found at hobby lobby in the art section
I used the Slice cutter to cut the 50 in gold and Prima
flowers for accent. )


treat box favor
 These are some of the 
party favors I made. I already had
a bunch of these little boxes I bought 
at the dollar tree. However they were
silver and white. I took the gold spray
paint to these to change the color. I also
created a layered flower from a circular s
scallop punch, brad, watered down ink
in a spray bottle, (spritzed, scrunched and 
eventually glittered) I added the flower to
the tulle bow and added a tag on gold foil 
board with gold embossed words over their
picture. I used glue gun to pop the 50 in the
center of the flower and glue gunned the flower
to the tulle. 


easy peasy magnets
  These Magnets are super inexpensive and
easy fast party favor to make.
Materials: Dozens of sheets of thumb
nail prints of photos, thick heavy duty
magnet, E6000 glue, scissors.
 Larger size clear flat floral marbles-
*which can be found at hobby lobby*.
 (make sure the back side of glass isn't too
 bubbled or marred).  put a small dab of E6000 on back
of marble and press down over picture being careful to center the picture. press firm to get air bubbles out and let dry. trim excess paper off and glue the magnet to the
back of the marble.. I usually glue all the marbles on the whole page and then cut them off..great way to assembly line them.
 Next, I had to have a place to put the extra marbles. which led me to making this magnetic board from Dollar tree cookie sheets. I used crackle medium and painted the cookie sheet. After dry time, I carefully stroked over it with off white acrylic paint. I then Stenciled the words on and hand painted the roses. I aged it with rub and buff gold paint and a little ink on a sponge. I used the crop-a-dile big bite to punch the holes in the tin to hang it from ribbon. I didn't seal this but you probably should seal it with spray sealer of some sort before putting the ribbon on.



Saying Thanks to all
 Below are the thank you notes made to pass out to the guests. I printed this and then inked the edges in golden yellow. i added Prima flowers and used t-shirt pearl paint to embellish the flowers. I happened to find confetti in gold 50's and glued them along with the ribbon at the top.
Janet and Tom Steele
Mom and Dads first Wedding cake!

JACK AND MARCIA JENKINS
TOM AND JANET STEELE

Memory Table

Cutting the cake

table of memories

The Center Pieces
 We would have had great difficulty if it weren't for Marcia and Jack Jenkins. Marcia's eye for pulling things together is amazing. She gathered moms hydrangeas and dried and gilded them in gold using moms hobnail milk glass and family pics she made it a fairytale dream come true for my mom.

cutting the cake

sharing the cake










Pics of Hillbilly Ridge Bed n Breakfast!



t




THE GRANDKIDS

KIDS AND GRANDKIDS


XOXOX

No comments:

Post a Comment

A collection of my favoritesboth past and present

Here are some of my favorite scrapbook pages/ and crafts from over the years