Monday, August 15, 2011

For the Kids... a toy run benefit for kids in need.

Hi Folks! In keeping with Paper Issues current theme, "Let it Ride", I have begun to tackle many many photos I have of the rides my hubby and I have gone on. Years ago, my hubby brought up the idea of getting a motorcycle..My response was, "NO WAY"!!!! he worked on me for a few years. Finally when gas began jumping to 4.00 a gallon, he convinced me of the savings, but I wasn't ready to cave yet. Then a friend came by on a bike and it was pretty I have to say. I jokingly said okay if you get a bike like his then its alright. The next day the friend sold him the bike. (I think I was set up-lol). As part of his nature, he used the bike to volunteer for many missions such as, Patriot Guard, Toy Runs for kids at Christmas, any type of benefit to raise money terminal illnesses, and of course he is a motorcycle Marshall for BP MS 150, "a bicycle-a-thon where they ride from Houston to Austin to raise money for Multiple Scleroses where he serves as a medic for the event. Eventually he got me involved with Patriot Guard and some of the other rides and Benefits.


This is the  first double page spread that I created for the theme.  Normally I don't do multi-double page spreads and normally I am more vintage/ shabby in style. I tried to give the layout a Christmas feel with a bit of grunge look.  I think I need to work on the grunge look some more..  I used a Tim Holtz ideology mask, distress clear rock candy crackle paint,  Ranger stickles,  Ranger crackle effects, walnut ink spatters, and folk art paint spattered. sizzix die cut, Mambie red glitter alphas, doodlebug alphas,  paper studio bottle cap/ brads, Scenic route papers, stampin up stickers (light bulb and banner)

The journaling reads: Its all about the Kids…
Each year my hubby and friend gather with massive group of motorcycles to ride for the benefit of raising money for Tri-County Toy-Run.  Approximately 855 bikes from 3 counties came to serve 20 charities, making sure that over 6,268 kids had a smile Christmas morning.  In cash we estimated $12,120.00 dollars were raised. Toy donations estimated $15,000.00. Totally a $27,120.00 amout raised. The Ride was held in memory of fallen firefighter “Chad Wessels” and fallen officer, “Patrick Sirois”.
As bikes gathered, we were thankful it wasn’t as cold as it was the previous year. The ride went from Temple to Olgesby, Texas. It brought tears to my eyes as I saw for miles ahead of me bikes, lined up both front and back lined up riding for to make a special day for these kids who haven’t had  much in life. I also am amazed at how the community lined up in support of our efforts. All throughout the ride we saw people lined up on over passes, highways, streets with flags waving at us and cheering us on, some dressed like Christmas characters. It was good to know that what we were doing mattered. I imagine that seeing miles and miles of bikes is a sight to see.
Tri-County Toy Run 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment

A collection of my favoritesboth past and present

Here are some of my favorite scrapbook pages/ and crafts from over the years